Saturday 25 April 2009

Marathon Goal

This weekend is the London Marathon and I am not running this year. I was unsuccessful in the ballot last year so instead I went to Paris with a group from Petts Wood Runners and completed the 33rd Paris Marathon. So intead of running tomorrow I am supporting my sister in her first marathon. I will hopefully be able to visit various points around the course and if we are lucky we will see her.

Whilst I am not running tomorrow I have now signed up to run another marathon. I really wanted to have another go at getting below 3hrs 15mins. Paris was fantastic and I ran a new pb in just under 3:23 BUT my first half was too cautious in 1:43 and the GFA time was never in sight. So I have looked at a few autumn marathons both in the UK and abroad. Initially it was going to be Palma Majorca but I was concerned that although it was late October it was going to be too warm for a quick time. The alternatives also included New York in November ... but the US is too expensive at this time. So I have entered Berlin on 20th September, paid my €81 entry fee, booked flights and the hotel.

The training plan is taking shape with various 5k's (Assembly League, Club Time Trials and at least two Joydens Wood races) to get some fast pace running, a 10k race in Beckenham in June (will I be able to reduce the current 44:30 pb? which was set so long ago) and the Dartford Half Marathon in mid-July which will be a good benchmark on progress as I ran this last year in just sub 1:39 when I was not very focussed. This year I will need to be at least 3 mins quicker to be making progress to the sub 3:15.

I will continue with the cycling too ... I am still waiting to receive the cycle scheme voucher so that I can collect the new Trek 1.9 ... can't wait. The only other purchase is to upgrade to the Suunto T6c ... had a chat today with the people on the Suunto stand at the LM Expo and I have to go for it.

No comments: