Friday 10 August 2012

Ride Across Britain - the countdown to the start line

Countdown: Day -29

So tomorrow will be exactly four weeks or 28 days to when I, and over 400 others, will be rolling across the start line down in Lands End. I am feeling a sense of both excitement and apprehension at the prospect of riding for 9 consecutive days with distances between 98 and 120 miles each day to cover the entire length of Britain. From Lands End to John O'Groats with the Ride Across Britain all the details at the Threshold Sport website http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/

Ride:

Today is a regular work day and therefore I have commuted on my Enigma Ethos It's a ride of about 13 miles and takes just under an hour. Going home can take about 5 to 10 minutes longer due to more traffic on the roads.

Kit:

Rapha Summer Sale starts today and I am wondering if a new jersey can be justified.

Preparation:

Items on the to do list include a trip to B&Q for some pipe lagging and zip ties to protect the bike when I pack it for the journey to the start. Then I will also need to plan at least one full practice of packing the bike and unpacking with the associated disassembly and reassembly of the components.

Also yesterday I ordered from Evans a few essentials including bib shorts and gloves, a knog rear light and lubrication for bike and rider taking advantage of a 15% discount offer that was about to expire. The excuse to shop is completely irresistable!

Tomorrow:

Morning I'll be out on Bigfoot CC Level 3 ride covering 48 miles at a steady pace and then a visit to Rapha in the afternoon.

No comments: