Thursday 24 September 2009

Berlin Marathon race report

Crossing the start line the START button was punched on the T6C and I was away and due to the forward start position the pace felt okay. I don't remember seeing 1k or 2k markers but was instead running with a couple of runners in distinctive yellow tops printed with BRAZIL. Even going through the early water stations I tracked with them. The water stations were not civilised they involved a fair amount of pushing and elbowing fellow runners.

I had decided not to to use the footpod with the Suunto instead was just going to punch the LAP button at each 5k. Also the advantage of this was that I would not be endlessly checking pace. Instead the emphasis was to 'feel' the pace and use other runners as my pacers.

After a while the Brazillians were left behind and for a while I don't recollect now who I was following but I was passing other runners and maintaining what I felt was the right pace for the sub-3:15.

Much of the first half was a blur; I recollect some bands playing loud music and in the eastern part of the city some huge speakers on a balcony blasting out the music. Around half way I punched the watch and saw the time of 1:35:xx (I only looked briefly so really the seconds were never seen). The time was just what I needed. I was ahead of a 3:15 schedule and I felt absolutely fine. I had a little mantra in my head about no gain without pain but at this stage the legs were fine and the breathing was steady. Water stops had provided sips or gulps as required and although it was warming up the cap was keeping me cooler. Whenever possible I was staying in the shadow of buildings.

I was also taking the gels I had brought with me. The first was taken at between 11 and 12k then the next was just after half way. In between I was helping myself to banana's given out periodically.

So the race was progressing but the 5k after half way did seem to take longer but I think it was probably due to being more conscious rather than internal focus.

After the 30k marker was passed I recollect a wave of emotion coming over me. I had 12.2k to finish (less than an hour of running) and I knew I was going to achieve the goal. I had to re-focus and a girl that had come passed me had become my running companion. We frequently switched from pacer to lead over the second half of the run and it was keeping me going at a perfect pace.

By 38k the Reichstag came into view and I begun to feel that the end was insight. Then the course turned and what came into view was a 2k+ straight run. Mentally this became tough just at the same time the legs started to complain. The pain I am sure had been there for some time but what happens as it reaches a certain intensity is the feeling that the stride is shortening and its hard to maintain the pace. I was willing the race to finish. I needed to get to the end and I told myself I never needed to run another marathon!

The course turned and even included some cobbles until after another long straight stretch of road but then the Bradenburg gate came into view and the finish line beyond it. I was probably 400m to go and I noticed that the time clock was approaching 3:10. I started to sprint. Pain in the legs forgotten. The sub-3:15 was in the bag but now my thought was I had some seconds to get to the finish and complete a sub-3:10. I crossed the mats and punched the STOP button and looked at the time. It was 3:09:51. Yessss! Brilliant! I had done it! I was sure that the official time would confirm that sub-3:10.

As I wandered in the area immediately after the finish line I received my medal and seached for the girl in the blue top to congratulate. I shooked her hand and asked her time. She responded 3:06 I think, meaning she probably started from the pen behind me. Good run!

But then I continued to walk towards the baggage area and pick up more water and a goody bag. I was elated and felt I had not just gone sub-3:15 but absolutely smashed it.

No comments: