Thursday 22 October 2009

Reading widely and enjoying the content

The last few days I have been somewhat busy and have felt strangley unable to get to the point of actually writing up my open water swim last Saturday.  That might suggest that it was not a good experience when in fact it was quite the opposite.  No, the problem has been that I have been reading other blogs and absorbing all the interesting stuff that my eclectic mix of blogs provide.

But now I am at last starting to capture the latest update.

So the open water swim....  It started a little confusingly as I arrived at Leybourne Lakes at just before 10 and Mike was nowhere to be seen.  After trying to call him I stood by the edge of the lake and realised that there were a number of swimmers in the lake coming towards me.  After some slightly nervous questions of them as they emerged from the lake I shook hands with Mike and he organised me with the car park ticket and I went off to bring the car round.  That sorted we discussed wetsuit and he suggested using one of his old ones.  I headed to the back of the container and changed into the suit and emerged feeling like an awkward teenager not quite comfortable in their surroundings.  Mike took me through a comprehensive Health & Safety routine and we stepped towards the edge of the lake.  I was going to complete a lap with Mike and then repeat it again on my own.  This involved swimming to a number of staging points - a small boat, a buoy, another boat and then back towards the starting point via another buoy.  This was some 300 metre distance in total.

I am not sure what exactly I was expecting.  Suddenly the moment was upon me and I thought to myself 'what the hell am I doing?'.  No going back now though and we stepped into the water.

It was cold but not that cold and as we went in deeper the wetsuit kept me dry so it really was not so bad.  The feeling under foot was strange in that the floor of the lake was slightly soft.  Mike started to talk me through some acclimatisation steps so hands were held in the water; then he showed me how to fall backwards whilst blowing out to avoid the gasp of breath as you submerged into the cold water; and then finally to duck down holding the neck of the suit open to collect water inside.

These steps completed it was time to start swimming.  I was following alongside Mike and the buoyancy of the suit was apparent but as we swam I had a feeling of panic and the natural desire to breath was hard to regulate.  Swimming faster was counter productive, slow was better.  There were moments where co-ordinating it was hard and I just had to stop and breathe and recompose myself.  It was fine but the cold was having a strange effect.  At one point I felt dizzy and Mike explained it was the head movement and sight of the horizon being from a different perspective.  Also it was hard work and although I am fit it required more effort than I expected.

We completed the circuit and spent a few moments discussing it and I asked if he would accompany me around the circuit again.  This time there was less feeling of panic but by the final stage I was feeling very tired.  I had wanted to complete the final element without stopping but I needed to tread water and re-compose myself about 2/3rds distance and then swim the final 1/3rd.

Swimming kept me warm(ish) but when we stopped and got out of the water I quickly started to shake with the cold.  Swiftly across the path to the container and stepping out of the suit and drying myself I was getting colder even with the heater on.  I dressed but was still cold, even after a cup of coffee I had that involuntary shake.  The air temperature / slight breeze was making me feel more cold now than when I was in the water!

I think it took about 20 minutes for me to overcome the shiver but even then I knew I wasn't warm through. The heater on in the car on the journey home was the final warming up process.

The after thoughts were about how exhilarating the experience had been and how I had really enjoyed the swim but was tempered by the fact that I did not enjoy being so cold afterwards.  I want to go again but equally feel that some pool based swim training might be beneficial before returning to the lake.  I should improve my swim fitness.

I spoke to Mike on Monday and he chatted about equipment, particularly wetsuits, and returning soon to the lake to practice.  I need to make the commitment to go at least a couple more times to consolidate on the induction and make sure I feel calm and relaxed. 

I have an excuse for this Saturday as I am at parkrun in Bromley early and then afterwards leading a fitness session / outdoor PT workout for my sons youth group football team.  I am going to enjoy putting them through a tough session to see how fit they are feeling.

This weeks exercise so far / planned is:
Sunday: cycled to London / back as a route familiarisation journey (fairly leisurely pace)
Monday: 30 minute off-road lap of Scadbury Park
Tuesday: cycle commute to London and back (but felt bad as I skipped club night)
Wednesday: 54 minute off-road circuit of Hawkwood, Petts Wood and Scadbury for just over 7 miles
Thursday: cycle commute to London and back
Friday ... will be cycle commute 
Saturday ... cycle to parkrun / back + outdoor PT with youth team
Sunday ... 10 miles with as much off-road as possible in about 75 mins or thereabouts.

Will try and blog again over the weekend to update on how things go particularly at parkrun and with the youth team PT session.

:-)

No comments: