Thursday 8 October 2009

Spin and run

Up early this morning and attended a spin class at the Spa this morning.  A 45 minute session on the bike having not had time for anything other than a quick cup of tea meant I was not entirely flat out but certainly worked up a sweat.  Then after a drink of water and change of shoes I was out onto the road to run home.

I had forgotten the chest strap for the Suunto so with my Nokia set up on the Sportstracker software I started the GPS and pressed 'Go'.  It was cold this morning so I headed off at a steady pace guessing it was about 8 minutes per mile.  The planned route home was to follow the Green Chain but as I often get lost trying to go through the local park I stayed on the road until I knew I was on the Green Chain route.

The early morning weather was not idea and actually I felt I could have done with gloves to combat cold fingers.  Nonetheless having the trail running shoes on gave me more confidence to head through the leaves and puddles without fear of falling.  Early morning the roads are busy but I was not held up too much and later as I passed local schools I greeted people with a cheery 'good morning' and for the most part was responded to.  The later part of the route takes me through woods and along paths well away from roads and I always prefer these sections but I did wonder if the GPS would lose its signal.

About 3 miles from home I checked the Suunto and estimated about 24 minutes home.  When I stopped the Sportstracker it was a couple of minutes ahead of my earlier estimate.  The summary said 6.94 miles in 54'16  at an average of 7'49.  Not bad for a mostly uphill run home after the spin.

No comments: