Wednesday 7 October 2009

Training update

Todays journal entry is more of a non-training running update as I am not following a plan at the moment and besides a end of year Christmas Caper race there will be no big distance races in the remainder of 2009.  So running is for fun and general mental relaxation.

Yesterdays weather was not 'normal' or typical for October.  The morning cycle to London was mostly wet and when it rains it means that both the bike and me get very dirty as the roads in London are coated with fuel residue and general muck.  I had to be cautious as the roads are slippery when wet and a 45 minute journey took more than 51 minutes.  On the way home the weather had changed to being windy and warm so although I was quicker on the return it was hard work and I was much more tired than I would expect.  The consequence was when it was suggested not going along to the evening club run I was easily persuaded to skip going for the usual training run.

So after a rest on Monday and only the cycle commute yesterday I felt the need to run this morning so headed out just after 8am to follow the local parks trails.  The warm up over to the first park was relaxed and the Asics trail shoes were the right choice as the ground was as expected after the recent heavy rain.  The park lap was completed in 20 minutes, which was a reasonably quick time, and then I headed across the main road into the the National Trust land to follow the bridal paths.  These woods are undulating and have a variety of surfaces but again the trail shoes were the right choice to stay gripped to the mud.  I was back home in just over 52 minutes and felt tired but refreshed by the run.  I am not sure on the distance but it is likely to be about 6.5 miles based on about 8 minute miles.

So I am disappointed that I was so easily convinced not to run last night but then this mornings run was very enjoyable and running off-road is so much more enjoyablable than the usual suburban roads.

No comments: